Friday, May 1, 2009

My "Graduation" From Physical Therapy

Yesterday morning, I “graduated” from my Physical Therapy (Canadians: Physio Therapy) and I wanted to tell you a little about my experience at Wilson McKeown Rehab Center which is part of Memorial Hospital of East Texas.


This is not intended to be technical in any way, so do not comment, correcting me on terms. This is a story about people helping people to be able to do more things unassisted and with less pain.


Before talking about my experience, I want to let you know that centers like this one - all over the country - help people of all ages, including children, to improve their mobility. Some are born with problems, some have strokes or injuries. Many military veterans must undergo really long stretches of rehabilitation to regain their mobility and re-enter civilian life.


I began my “workouts” back in January. I had had severe back/spinal cord problems and a lot of pain since Hurricane Ike in October. (A lot of events in Texas are attached to hurricanes.) It was originally thought that the change in atmospheric pressure had caused my terrific back pain. Intense investigation and an MRI proved that it was more serious. Surgery was not really an option, or at least no one wanted to try it. That was fine with me, because neurosurgery is very serious stuff!


At first my therapist was a gal named Perlito and she was really kind and helpful. Then, she was working at the hospital so Leo stepped in.


I don’t like to admit that I am unhealthy, so for my purposes these wonderful people are personal trainers, not just Physical Therapists. Actually, they came to be my friends!


My legs are stronger now and I am not quite so nervous to walk without a cane or other assistance.


In addition to machines and stepping (up, down and sideways; on flat ground and on a trampoline), I have done exercises at home, stepping at home. Leo has worked me outdoors on grass, concrete, ramps, curbs, and asphalt. Yesterday, he showed me how I should get in and out of the SUV, using the running board. Leo made a point of learning about me and what my personal needs are. Then, he taught me ways to do things with the least amount of pain.


All of the Therapists were very friendly, smiling and calling me by name. One day, one came over to me and asked if it was okay to be my friend on Facebook! Wow!


So, at first three days a week and latterly two days a week, Hubby and I got up earlier than we do on church days, had part of our breakfast and drove over to Wilson McKeown for 9:00 a.m. Hubby would read his business magazines and for one hour I would push my body as best I could.


Well, yesterday – my last day – was a hugging and tearful event as the Therapists saw me off for our 1600 mile drive to Toronto.


Leo has given me all sorts of tips and an important thing is for me to get out of the car about every hour and walk around for a while.


My friend, Daisy has lent me a special seat that plugs into the car lighter. It has heat and vibrates. Every day, I will be doing my back exercises on the floor as Hubby supervises. I also have a DVD player to do my Richard Simmons exercises. I will have my step with me and my stretch cords – both from Richard and from the center.

I hope whenever you have a health problem, you are able to find as much support and help as I have. My back is not ever going to be “better”, but now I have less pain and am able to do more things than I would have otherwise.


I am down about 16 pounds which is close to the 20 my General Practitioner (who just happens to be Canadian) wanted me to lose.


And, I made some more friends. We all need lots of friends in this world and I am blessed for that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had therapy, good therapy but none so personal.
Have a great trip.

Charlotte said...

I am blessed to now call you my friend and not just on facebook! I will miss you but you are always welcome to come see us! Don't forget you said we would do lunch when you return! Be safe on your trip and remember all that you have learned!

Leo said...

Hi Martha thank you for all the kind words that you have given to us all! I hope you and Keith are doing well and enjoying every part of your trip.