Friday, May 15, 2009

How People See Texans

My Cape Breton, Nova Scotia brother-in-law, Sen, likes to tell this joke and it says a lot about how others think of Texans:

"So, Texan . . . how big is your spread?"

"Well, I can start driving from my garage and still not reach the back gate of my ranch by sundown."

"Yeah, I know what you mean . . . I had a car like that one time!"

Well, that is sort of funny and I guess a lot of people see Texans as boastful. But all in all, Texans are perceived as friendly and when they see the license, they like to stop you to talk. And Texas is pretty sprawly, especially compared to the City of Toronto.

I think because there are so many songs about Texas, that helps people to know a little bit at least about Texas.

Certainly, I have felt for a long time that the people from Ontario know a lot more about Texas than Texans know about them. I have written before that there are precious few songs about Ontario. And for the most part, Ontario people are fairly conservative and don't talk a lot about all the good things their province has to offer.

One thing that Americans know about Ontario is the great natural resources, the fishing and hunting. Many take special trips and have guides to make it easy for them to have a fine time.

We have encountered a lot of friendly people just because we are from Texas. They like to chat and most of them would like to visit Texas. That speaks well for he Lonestar State! It also makes us proud to be from Texas!

1 comment:

Ted said...

The world gets smaller and friendlier each day. As Keith and Martha's business card was seen on my laptop, the one girl exclaimed "Were they here!"

I couldn't believe it .....You truly are world renowned :) ...Here name was Christine...her mother in-law is Judy from Port Hope!
Lot's can happen in your local Scrapbook store!
Enjoy your trip.
Ted