Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Story About Placemats Sewn And Given With Love . . .

If you follow this blog, you will know that this was my first time visiting Toronto that my old friend, Belinda, would not be there. When Belinda was so very sick, of course she was on our church prayer list. Everyone "knew" Belinda and how much she meant to me over the years - 48 years to be exact.

One of my church friends, Sandy, remembered and when I asked if I might buy a set of her quilted placemats, she said she did not have any but she would be happy to make them for Belinda's daughter, Cathie. Cathie had invited us to her home for dinner with Shahab, (the IT wiz), and her father, D'Arcy.

(I've been a writer since I was about seven years old and I always have a story to tell. When we arrived at Cathie's, I told her this story before giving her the mats.)

Once Sandy knew who the mats were for, she decided to do a set of eight and the only material I supplied was a bit of cowboy hats for Texas flavor.

So, I made an 8-1/2 x 11 scrapbook for Sandy's quilt pictures. These pictures will go into that album, just below the last picture of Belinda and me at the Pickle Barrel in Toronto.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Shahab and Cathie exchange the mats they had out and place these new ones lovingly on the table which was set.

As you can see, these mats are reversible with shades of brown that tone in beautifully with Shahab & Cathie's townhouse decor. All fit together well.

We had a beautiful evening and you know we blogged (I had the keyboard) from their coffee table up to the 42" monitor on the wall. We had fun. Yes - fun!

I think there is always something we take away from an event like that - no matter how old we are. What I took away from that Friday night was that I have a new friend - actually two new friends, a very kind friend back home (Sandy) and an angel watching over us all.

Oh, yes, the mats were in a large Ziploc bag with some special detergent to keep the colors looking great and a sweet little card to explain the design of the quilt. That bag was never opened until Cathie opened it.



Thank you, Belinda, for your friendship all those years. Thank you Cathie for being my friend. Thank you, Sandy for making these one-of-a-kind mats. And of course, thank you Shahab, for letting me play with your toys!

No comments: