Thursday, April 30, 2009

Where Will We Be Shopping & Eating?




Where Will We Be Eating And Shopping in Toronto and Port Hope?

When you repeatedly travel to the same places, there are special places you like to visit.

The restaurant I miss the most, of course, is Swiss Chalet. This is a major chain and can be found across the country. I’ve described it before, so you know it is a BBQ chicken restaurant.

Another, also a chain, is Tim Horton’s. It was primarily a donut chain but evolved into a restaurant where you can have soup, sandwich and donuts. Some of them have enormous lines at lunchtime because it is such a favorite. (The late Tim Horton was a hockey player.)

Then, of course, there is Harvey's. "Harvey's makes a hamburger a beautiful thing!" They add what you want and it is delicious!

I generally stop in at Shoppers Drug Mart which is a chain that always has something I either need or more likely, want.

I’ll be back to Bulk Barn this trip. Last time I found some amazing soap which lasts a really long time and comes in assorted colors and scents. Bulk Barn has all manner of staples, like flour, cake mix, candies, etc. that you can buy by the pound. (You scoop out what you want from the bins and it is weighed at the checkout.) I have never seen anything similar in Texas.

In Toronto, I usually go to The Bay. That is Hudson’s Bay Company. It is the oldest department store in North America and you can purchase great souvenirs including the striped items that were their trademarks as original fur traders.

I generally stop into Zellers which is a discount department store as I can generally get some neat souvenirs there. One time I found a bathing suit for Ava with a red maple leaves pattern.

If there is a nice when we will be alone at our hotel, we stop into Loblaw's (Supermarket) and find a delicious meal from the deli counter. We will also pick up some Habitant French Canadian Pea Soup to bring back.

Of course, we always try to find a Jewish Deli and there are lots of them – to have a pure corned beef on rye. I say, “pure” because I love to have the fresh cut corned beef heaped high on rye bread with regular mustard spread on it. Simple, fat sandwich that is hard – or impossible to get except in Houston.

So, my mouth is watering and I am ready for a taste of Toronto and Port Hope.

This year, we will also be going up to Peterborough one day. I do not know Peterborough as well but it is more of a a resort town. We will visit my friend’s mother and also check out their scrapbook store. Imagine bringing back some papers with Canadian motifs on them! Wowwee!

No comments: