Saturday, May 23, 2009

Just A Bunch Of School Girls!




Posted by Picasa

On the Toronto Reunion Weekend, Saturday evening, we had a more casual gathering at Val's house. It was very relaxed. The doll represents the strictness of our uniform and required behavior at St.Clement's School (Toronto). There were quite a few rules and one, of course, was no smoking in uniform. If you look carefully, you'll see that friend Nancy, who created this "student", has stuck a cigarette in the doll's mouth. Tsk! Tsk!

Our tunics (uniforms) were to be 4 - 6" above the knee when kneeling and when I asked a current student greeting us at the Donalda Club luncheon, she told me that was no longer in effect.

Most of us talked about the "old days" which were pretty strict by today's standards.

The "girls" are pretty much the same as I remembered them and most of us have had pretty interesting lives.

There were only two of us in from the United States and some from Western Canada but for the most part, the "girls" live in the Toronto area with one spending part of the year in England.

One girl came over and sat beside me to tell me that her husband had been killed by a train two weeks before. She was still planning to attend a wedding in New Orleans and we talked about how good it is to have things to talk about. As you get older, you are able to reach out to listen and perhaps help. I told her how I had gone to Las Vegas after my late husband, John's death and how it gave me something else to talk about. (The fact is that people only listen for about three weeks and expect you to "get on" with life.) Of course, I told her how I met Hubby Keith and how we enjoy our life. I hope that happens for her.

Life and years have a way of leveling the playing field and some of the girls who were rather shy and unsure of themselves were now more outgoing. One thing that surprised me was that no one whipped out any photos of grandchildren! (Mind you, I did not have any with me either.)

I think I mentioned another time that the evening meal was salad, pizza and cake, which is, of course, what school girls still eat!

It was a time to share old experiences and find out how everyone was doing. I am so glad Hubby encouraged me to go even if it is going to take us a long time to regroup!

No comments: