Friday, May 8, 2009

A Place To Stand, A Place To Grow . . . Ontario . . . ario. . . . ario

Now, to tell you about the sights and sounds, and of course, the people of Toronto!

We have eaten at least twice at Tim Horton's where the restrooms are clean, the food delicious and the patrons friendly!

Coming in off 401 Highway - where Toronto's true madness dwells, we cut down Weston Avenue and actually our first stop was St.Phillips Cemetery where my parents and grandparents, and my daughter, Carrie Jane, are buried. (Robbie was younger and unfortunately was buried in a different place.) (For you who have not yet read my book and do not know me personally, my natural children died in infancy - one at 3 weeks and one at 6 months.)

The grave site is a few short steps from the sidewalk and the cemetery is part of a church site. There was one little place for us to park. The smile for me about this sad topic is that my Dad - a very outgoing and funny guy - said he wanted to be buried where people go by every day! Well, 47 years later, he must be looking down at that site and smiling wider than usual. The family name is very visible and surrounded by houses, high rise, a golf course and busy traffic!

Next - just around the corner - was a stop at Tim Horton's and then we were on our way - through the city to our hotel.

In Ontario, where we have been has looked pretty prosperous with housing and factory building and lots of activity.

Last night, cousin Don picked us up and drove us to a seafood restaurant. Yes, we did take pictures and yes, it was lots of chatting and glorious eating. We celebrated Rachel's birthday and her mother, Joanne & I chatted as usual. (Yes, I know - gotta explain that in Toronto, families generally arrive in two cars . . .

Don came up to the room after and we talked a lot about his Mother, Ruth, who died last year, and various old times.

Today, we are off to the Pickle Barrel for corned beef with cousin Elaine and this evening we will be Belinda's family barbecuing. Cannot tell you about the special gift for Cathie till after.

Tomorrow will be my 50th High School Reunion Luncheon and tomorrow evening we will meet at one of the gal's homes in North Toronto for dinner. (Yes . . . you got it . . . a girls school and Keith will be watching sports and reading books . . . )

Hope those from East Texas are getting a taste of Toronto and hope all my Canadian family and friends are being reminded of all the great things about the province where I was born and grew up.

"A Place To Stand, A Place To Grow . . . Ontario . . . ario . . . . ario!"

(I think this was the Centennial song Bobby Gimby wrote for Ontario in 1967.)

1 comment:

Winn said...

I can hear the ari ... ari .... ario just now!