Friday, May 29, 2009

We sometimes joke a la Las Vegas, that what happens at scrapbooking stays at scrapbooking, but it really does not.

Yesterday, I stopped in - to see what new papers were in this week, and say, "Hello" to Sue, who is at the helm of the store.

My visit started off with a colossal bang when black cat, "Vader", skipped out the door and Sue was running down the sidewalk to re-capture him. She has two crop cats (surely that would be what they are called) who she calls "Vader" and "Cry Baby". Sue loves all animals but the cats are only there during the week and are not allowed at crops.

The problem, of course, is that "Vader" especially enjoys cropping. He does have his own style, but I worry a lot- not so much that he will mess up my page, but more that he will get hurt on some of the tools I use. He does like my stuff and me and it is a bit distracting . . .

Having a scrapbooking store was a dream that almost was lost when Sue went through a bout with breast cancer. Of course, you don't have a bout with it, you live with breast cancer. The magic is that Sue did create her own scrapbooking store and had lots of support from her hubby, Doug and daughter, Becci.

The "girls" who crop in Sue's enormous Crop Room are a caring group of people who worry how everyone else is doing and are genuinely interested in your projects at scrapbooking and also your daily life.

It is really good to roll in (literally as most of us have a rolling tote to haul our supplies and tools) and be greeted by so many gentle people.

The thing that is a major bonus for me personally is that I find "cropping" really relaxing and calming.

Everyone's technique is different and I am at a stage where I am more interested in creativity than producing a lot of pages. I used to do as many as 14 pages in an evening but now, it is more like 2 to 4. Since I came back with 98 really nice photos from our Toronto trip, I will be at my table for quite some time!

Some of the "girls" (we're all "girls" until we're about 106 years old) will have something to eat and so one or two will go out and bring something back. I try really hard to have had my dinner and just take some energy bars and some green tea - berry flavor.

Of course, when we have special crops, we have a potluck which is just as evil there as it is at church! In other words, it takes more willpower!

Last week I began cropping the photos from my St.Clement's School 50th Reunion. Those would be most important as that was the main reason for our trip.

Since there is no special paper for my school and most reunion paper is for family reunions, I am having to improvise. Our colors are black, red and yellow, so when I go with that, the pages are not going to be "soft" and "relaxing".

Scrapbooking is extremely personal and so it is really interesting to roam the Crop Room to see what others are doing.

I like to pick up a color from the photo and so, since I was wearing a pretty floral blouse under my navy blazer, I'll be able to use some light, airy blues. The majority of the photos do not have me in them but rather are several of the various "girls" who were my classmates. So, in addition to the school colors, there will be lots others to pick up.

I have been seriously cropping for almost two years now and my favorite topics are family, especially our grandchildren, Buddy the Lhasa and our friends we visit on trips.

Last year I did a graduation book as a gift and it turned out well. Of course, I go through old photos and have cropped my parents and I have done lots of pages of church and Hubby and me. I have also tackled sad topics and found that to be very therapeutic.

Tonight, I can do whatever I want with the Reunion photos - it's my story and just me to please.

I hope you have a hobby as special as this. Life is hectic and rigorous and it is so good to have some special time just to ourselves.

No comments: