Tuesday, November 11, 2008

BUMPY ROAD TO TEXAS - Preview

Posted by Picasa

Exerpt from Foreword – copyright Martha Sutton 2008 

 I am a naturally outgoing person and even though it might have gotten me into trouble as a youngster, I think it helped me tremendously to move into the Texas culture, which is somewhat different from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Yes, people are the same no matter where they live, in that they pretty much have the same dreams and hopes for their own success and that of their children.   

 I wanted to write this book now, while it is still easy to recall and to graph for others that it is absolutely possible – at even an older age – to turn your life around. I feel that from being a “poor little me”, I have been blessed to have just about the finest life a person could have. Surely it has come later in life and I do not have the energy to do all the things I would still like to do.

 That Keith and I should find each other online (in a widow/widower support group) while living 1,600 miles apart, coming from diverse backgrounds truly is the story I have to tell. We are coming up to twelve years married and have made a fabulous life together. Sure, we have a few arguments and sure he loves to wear white socks with just about everything, but we are an inseparable team. Even more than loving each other so very much, I think it is our constant thirst for knowledge of current events and inventions, our genuine love of other people and our faith that keep us moving ahead together. 

 I have chosen to write concise chapters as I know my readers must budget their time. It is much easier to pick up this book, read two or three chapters and put it back down till next time. I know you cannot (or should not) be up till 3:00 a.m. reading. 

 Super Hubby Keith has encouraged me to write and have this book published. He has trekked with me to writers conferences, edited and generally made it easy for me to keep writing over the years. 

 My background was, as you might sense, a little more formal. I was used to dressing more formally and still have some difficulties with the casual lifestyle in East Texas. While Houston is a lot like Toronto, East Texas is a lot more like Ontario Cottage Country. Frequently I think about what we called God’s Country, Lake Muskoka, Ontario. There are many similarities here in East Texas, even though we do not have the massive lakes here. 

 Of course, people all over Texas are friendly and that was something I had had no trouble getting  used to. 

 My story may or may not be anything like yours. You may relate to it or you may not. But I surely hope you enjoy reading about my journey!

No comments: