Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bumpy Road To Texas - Exerpt from Buddy The Lhasa Apso's Chapter

Posted by Picasa

Buddy the Lhasa Apso 

 Harry, the Shih Tzu was the last to go and like so many other people, we said that would be it: no more dogs, no more pets! 

 Well, that lasted for about five weeks. 

 I thought I would like a different breed since I would not be breeding and I thought about two breeds I had owned: Boxer and Lhasa Apso. 

 One day, there were both breeds listed in the classified column. 

 Long story short, the Lhasa breeder, Lucas Lhasas, was on a street named Martha up in Nacogdoches. We took our blue Lincoln Town Car over and Keith was counting on me to know what I was doing that day! 

 There were some puppies – all cute and I asked to have each up on a table. Mr. Lucas obliged and I went over a beige one. The dog was not as interested in me as I would like, so I asked to go over a bigger, older and very colorful dog who was eyeing me. He was solid and I would have to say – for John’s liking – rather large: Texas size! 

 I asked to see him in a home environment and they took us into a living room where the mother jumped up on top of my neck and there was a little madness all round. Ah, yes, this was a true dog fancier! 

 He had no name and he was already ten months old but I really liked him. He was a little shy but very, very pretty with beiges, ambers, silvers. He had potential and his body was lovely and sturdy. 

 It took both Mr. Lucas and Keith to get the young fellow out to the car and into a wire crate we had brought. It was raining a little and the chauffeured Lhasa seemed rather nervous on the way back to Lufkin. We discussed the matter of a name and Buddy just seemed to suit. At that time, we did not know that Buddy was currently the number one male dog name. 

 We stopped at Wal-Mart where I bought him a couple of things and we continued back to the house. 

 Buddy was shy, nervous and fearful for the first two days. Then for the next two weeks, he was just nervous. 

 Buddy is five now and he has adapted to Keith and me so well, it is amazing. We thank God every day that we found this dog who loves us both very much. He is very true to the characteristics of the breed, very much the guard dog and yet a bit of a clown. 

 Buddy is the most analytical of the dogs I have had in that he loves his toys and tends to post them in the yard to help him in his guarding duties. He also will line up similar colored toys, and will go to the box to seek out someone special. Never have I seen a dog who marshals his toys as Buddy does. 

 Of course, we have three places for leads and try to always be at the ready to get a hold of him because Buddy, although a better listener than when he was younger, likes to do his own thing when someone comes to the door. 

 I guess John was watching over me the day I picked Buddy. Buddy has been such a blessing for us! 

(Explanation: my late husband, John Devlin, was an international all-breed dog show judge.)


Copyright 2008 Martha Sutton - Bumpy Road To Texas is available at lulu.com

or e-mail us at keith.and.martha.sutton@gmail.com

1 comment:

Noemi said...

Buddy is lucky to have found you too. Chloe, our Lhaso Apso, came to us through a breeder. Our first dog ever. I had never heard of such dogs. She was the only one of her litter to survive and was born on our lucky number day. Chloe is smart, loving, funny, and very loyal. Check my blog www.ndznoemi.blogspot.com