Saturday, December 27, 2008

Time to Believe


Although not on this blog, I have written Christian articles elsewhere. This is a subject I have thought about a lot but I will just address it briefly this time.

There is an expression that in his worst hour, a person will believe.

That makes perfect sense, and I am counting on that to be true. It does make me sad though.

There is another expression that goes, "Better to believe and find out you were wrong than not to believe and find out you were wrong".

There are lots of different religions where beliefs are different of course, but I am talking Christianity here.

What is it that causes people to walk away from the Church?

I know some have been deeply hurt by someone within the church.

I myself have had two instances just since coming to Texas where I felt people were really, really mean to me. I read and I talked to my Pastor, and I came up with one thing that is very true for me. I have the "power" to forgive that person who hurt me and doing just that turned out to be probably the very best thing I ever did for myself.

Sometimes people will ask to be forgiven - that makes it easy! I am talking about forgiving someone who did not even ask. Why didn't they ask? Probably because after their anger had subsided and they were back to their real personality, they were too embarrassed to even speak to the person they had hurt.

Then, there is another scenario. That would be when someone who you really respected did something that you knew was not right. That would be a parent who left your other parent; a person close to you who did something blatantly outside the Christian mores. (As you age, you probably realize that back then you did not know all the facts.)

Especially in tough times - when we have financial stress, bad health, problems within our families - it is time to come back to our original faith we were taught from when we were little.

Go to church. Pray. If you cannot actually go to church, watch one of the services on television. Although each preacher is different, most have some fine messages.

Let go of the bad stuff that sent you away from your religion, whatever it was, and get back to some basics. The first time will be hard, but it gets easier and easier until you will not even stop to think about it. You'll feel so good. Maybe your problems will be solved. Possibly your health will be better. Maybe. Maybe not. But you will feel better about yourself and you owe that to yourself.

Have a blessed day!

No comments: