Friday, December 26, 2008

Thoughts of Boxing Day and The Young People Home for the Holiday

Even though I’ve been in East Texas for twelve years, I still think of the day after Christmas as Boxing Day. That comes from the English custom of opening Christmas presents the day after Christmas. Of course, that would never work in United States because nobody here likes to wait for anything!


Today the stores are open and all of them have big sales. So . . . for me that is a good place not to go! There are still friends and family to visit, neighbors to see, and there is lots of food still left to go around!


Now, I have an all-day scrapbooking event today. It starts at 10.00 a.m. and goes till midnight! I don’t even have to set up my stuff because it is all there in the crop room, waiting for me. Everybody takes food – you know, just like a Lutheran potluck - and we have a fine, relaxing time all day. It’s easy for me to come and go because I live really close. For today, I have selected some old pictures to crop. After holiday gift books for others, I think that’s what I’d like to do.


Scrapbooking is a perfect hobby for me because it is so calming. Today, I have a few more pictures of my Shih Tzu dogs. Now, I w; ll have a short pictorial of my 25 years owning, breeding and showing Shih Tzu. I have also collected some photos from my late teens and early twenties. It is good for me to compile those photos. I was not the most popular, nor the prettiest, or so I thought. As I look at those photos now, all these years later, I can see that I was more attractive than I had remembered. Back at St. Clement’s in Toronto, I had the nickname “Merry Mother Martha Jane”. So, I guess I was always interested in others.


That helps me to realize that it is important for me and for others to make sure we let young people know we think they are smart and attractive. A young person who feels good about themselves is going to produce better academically and enjoy life more. Young people are very easily influenced and one mean remark can nag at them for a long time. Youth cannot see that, but since we can, it is up to us to make sure they have a good feeling about themselves.


As we age, we learn that there will always be someone more attractive, more gifted at studies, richer, more outgoing. Somehow, most of us learn to be the best we can be and to gather round us those who make us feel comfortable.


Especially at church, I have young friends who are very impressionable, who are trying to find their way through the early years. I try to take time to stop and say something or ask them a question that will result in putting a smile on another face.


You can do that too – take a few extra minutes today to make someone else – especially a young person – feel good about themselves.


It sure is good to see the young people home for the holidays. We pray for their safe return back to school, work, and armed forces.


We sure have enjoyed having you home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Canadian mafia in Tyler taught me some itneresting traditions. My wife (Montreal-Toronto -- introduced me to bread stuffing, bread dauce and crackers -- those wonderful little table gifts.

Thanks for your blog posting.