Saturday, December 20, 2008

Pulling It Together For Christmas

Well, I was cropping (scrapbooking) last night instead of finishing my wrapping and decorating for the Christmas Season. I am not too worried, as the Christmas season will actually begin for us on Christmas Eve and goes through to January 6th (Little Christmas).

Each year since I have been in Texas, I thought about my Dad suggesting that all decorations be down before the New Year or there would be bad luck. That was one of his beliefs.

In our subdivision, which is pretty keen on outdoor decorating, the outdoor displays used to come down on December 26th.

We do have outdoor lights and two beautiful wooden angels, silhouetted against the house, a banner and a wreath on the door, so it looks from the outside as though we have "our act together".

Today, I'll chip away at the wrapping and Hubby and I will bring a little tree and trims down from the attic.

(Yes - we mailed our Christmas cards quite some time ago!)

If you can relate to any of this, then hopefully, this weekend you will be able to pull it together and be ready for family and other company coming to visit. Do remember that it is not necessary to put up every decoration you have.

Of course, if you have a "Buddy", like our Lhasa Apso, you'll need to keep things up off the floor and all the plush toys as far up as you can put them.

Plush toys? Well, yes - my greatest find this year was a beautiful large lady bear with a hand-made, layered crocheted dress for Ava. (I guess she will have to put it up on her dresser; I don't imagine it's for playing.) I do have plush toys (well hidden) for Buddy, of course! and I have a wonderful plush singing On The Road Again . . . You know, that's as Texas as it gets! For those of you up north, well, Willy Nelson is pretty much equal to Gov. Rick Perry and Lyle Lovett as representing Texas!

You'll also notice I say "I have" this and "I have" that . . . How many Hubbies actually hit the stores to purchase the gifts? No, that would be the wife's job, wouldn't it?

Well, as a fabulous consolation, Hubby made the house pretty much sparkle while I was cropping last night. And . . . of course, I have a little more cropping to do today, soooo . . .

Never, never say never - because today and tomorrow, you're going to pull it together and be able to enjoy this Season.

No comments: