Friday, April 24, 2009

Canadian Trip On Track - Ready to follow along?













Well, we have planned, reserved, made packing lists and arrangements for visits. So, we are definitely on track for our trip to Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Now, if you read this blog with any regularity, you'll know that Yonge Street is the main north/south street dividing Toronto. Yes, we'll be on Yonge Street a lot! And of course, you know that Toronto is my hometown.

The basic reason (excuse) for us driving to Toronto this time is so that I can attend my 50th Class Reunion at St.Clement's (Girls) School (Class of '59)! For you folks who have not lived in Ontario, we used to have 13 years of school not 12 as there are now.

Back when I was first looking at blogs, I saw a wonderful one where a couple were beaming back to everyone their trip and I thought that was terrific. I am reminded quite often that many folks in East Texas have not been to any part of Canada and some have not been to the Toronto area. If you are a regular reader, then you know that Toronto is the largest Canadian City (5.5 million in the GTA - Greater Toronto Area) and still pretty clean. It is expensive (particularly real estate)and has super shopping. There are more restaurants than you could visit in about 2-1/2 years if you ate out daily. It is culturally diverse, has wonderful theater and entertainment, lots of parks and "people" places and most major sports. Canada's Wonderland, Ontario Place, Toronto Zoo are all "world class" attractions (as people like to say).

So, instead of blogging with a different topic everyday, Hubby and I will try to keep you in touch with where we are and what we are doing.

I will take this week to get you up to speed as to approximately what we will be doing, where we will be traveling and who we will be seeing. Also, I will tell you a bit about how we prepare.

If you are on Facebook or Twitter, we will probably post there too - when we are near a computer. We are not into the portable computing equipment, and if we were, we might miss some of the good stuff that happens on the road!

On the way up, we will be going through Texas (of course), Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and in to Ontario.

On the way back, we plan on coming through New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas and back into Texas.

We have arrangements to pretty much fill our timetable. Although I do not have too many family left, we have lots of friends and we will see my cousins on the first night in T.O. No, I do not know why it is called T.O. I do know that Toronto is an Indian name meaning "meeting place".

Toronto is quite different from what it was when I was a kid. Back then, Canada was still part of the British Commonwealth and had about 500,000 population.

Hope you will enjoy tagging along on trip we always enjoy taking. It will be new to many of you and you'll know a little more about us and why we keep going back!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Martha,

Your trip is so exciting. I've always wanted to visit Toronto and now, thanks to you and Keith, I can take a virtual trip!!!

I'm with you all the way. I'm looking forward to learning about T.O. and hearing about your wonderful reunion with family and friends.