Wednesday, April 29, 2009

More Planning . . . Hotels and Routes

Hubby has mapped out our route to Toronto and it has been no mean feat as this time we are under the gun.


Did I forget to tell you that the Lufkin Community Band Concert is on Sunday? (He plays 3rd clarinet.)


I have cards for our favorite hotels and whenever it is possible, I book our stays online in advance. That way, I know what style of room I am getting and can get a good price for seniors. Most hotels consider AARP as senior, so that is 50. (Sorry!)

With the card comes a few perks including a daily newspaper and occasional upgrades. The best perk is earning free hotel nights.


On the road, the one thing I really hate is trying to find a room at the end of a long day’s drive. If I have to do this, I generally look at the chains where we have cards and if there is a choice, I try the newest one first.


Experience has taught me that generally the newer the hotel, the nicer it is.

Never accept the first rate quoted to you whether in person or on the phone. They always start with their full (or rack) rate and you have to haggle them down. Ask what discounts they have. Generally, they will come up with a better rate if you are persistent. Ask, “How can I get a better rate?” Seniors, corporate, government + sometimes they just have special packages.

We carry a couple of flashlights and two nightlights. There may not be enough plugs for your cell phone chargers and nightlights in every room. I have not yet purchased a portable phone charger.


Full service hotels are much more costly than chains that offer a complimentary breakfast bar. This is a real benefit! My personal favorite chains to stay at along the way are Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn and Holiday Inn Express. This time we are also using Holiday Inn Express and Comfort Inn for our Ontario stays as well.


I believe that planning is the key to a smooth road trip. Hubby and I have never really just gone to a resort or a city to just lounge around but that would be less planning and more kicking back.

This is the way it is when a Canadian and an American living 1600 miles apart find one another and get married. We like to keep in touch with “back home”.


Hampton Inn www.hamptoninn.com

Comfort Inn www.choicehotels.com

Holiday Inn Express www.ichotelsgroup.com

No comments: