Thursday, April 16, 2009

Old Rugged Cross - or Should We Do It My Way?

Today, there is a report from London, England on most popular music used at funerals.

As we go further and further away from traditional values, how much better is our life?

When I walk away from a funeral where a tape of Frank Sinatra singing, "My Way" was played, what is in my heart? Am I thinking that the deceased was some sort of rebel? Am I wondering what his life was all about?

When I listen to someone singing Old Rugged Cross or Amazing Grace, I know that my late friend knew where he was going. I appreciate that indeed he lived each day the best he could. I know he (or she) reached out to others every day.

Unfortunately, I have had to arrange several funerals. I have never used anything but traditional hymns for the music.

Each funeral has been overseen by a minister and there often has been a lay person speaking about the deceased.

Is there some value to getting away from traditional funerals?

We are at a time in North American History when we need to remember America was founded on Christian principles. We have welcomed immigrants in both Canada and United States from just about every nation in the world. Although I don't know the music from every religion of every immigrant, I am pretty sure that "Bat Out Of Hell" by Meatloaf and "Highway To Hell" by AC/DC are not in anyone's religious repertoire.

As Dave Barry would say, I am not making this up! These two songs are showing as being choices of some people for funerals.

Also, in case you are wondering, the definition of religion is, Belief in a divine being or beings or specific form of belief and practice ( Webster). So, just about everybody has some form of belief or religion.

If we are believing in or have made our religion pop culture such as musical groups with unusual names; drugs, sex and rock and roll (per Father John Corapi) then perhaps this explains why things are going rather badly right now.

How about a call for, Back to Basics?

Please feel free to leave a comment - which may or may not be published - if you think you know a better way of believing!

No comments: