Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Happy Canada Day - July 1st

Posted by Picasa
It might be my accent. It might be that I tack "eh?" on the ends of my sentences. Whatever it is, I am always going to be Canadian - even if I worked so hard to attain my American Citizenship as well. (Yes, I have dual citizenship.)

There are always reminders and today was no exception. A gal at the scrapbook store was wearing a "Timmins" T-shirt her husband brought back for her. I asked her if she knew Shania Twain lived there when she was young. Well, now she knows.

Last week in the Crop Room where I spend a lot of my Friday evenings, another gal told me about her trip to Prince Edward Island! Wow! She is one of the few people from Texas to visit the little red clay Island! Yes, she visited Anne of Green Gables Home . . . in fact she and her husband renewed their wedding vows there on their 20th anniversary.

Her name is Dee and she had some very fond memories of P.E.I. She said she thought they only had to buy two full meals because they were stopping at the vegetable stands and eating them fresh. She talked about a person making some potato chips and flavoring them specially for them. She has very fond memories of P.E.I. and said she'd like to go back and also see Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

The one thing Texans have trouble with is the vastness of Canada. They mention Lake Louise and Banff in the same sentence as The Maritimes.

Another girl asked me if I was watching The Bachelorette and commented that the gal this time is from Vancouver.

A long time ago, my friend Guesna from Mane Attraction thought it would be a good idea for Hubby and me to take some of my new friends up to meet some of my old friends in Canada. Wouldn't that be fun?

I think I have been a good ambassador for Canada and probably have encouraged a few people to visit. I do wish that Canada would do some more advertising down here to promote tourism. Texans would just love Canada - all of it! Texans love to hunt and they love to fish and we all know they have lots of money! (That was said with my tongue in my cheek, you know.)

Of course, Hubby and I were in Ontario in May. We have visited most years and have also been to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia three times.

Once we drove to Cape Breton Island - it was 7,200 miles round trip. That was the time the little boy in the Sobey's parking lot suggested we had driven a long way for groceries! That time, we also drove through New Brunswick and Quebec. I very much enjoyed seeing New England on the American side.

I also would like for Hubby to see P.E.I. and Newfoundland on the East Coast and British Columbia and Alberta out west.

I consider myself very fortunate to have seen as much of Canada as I have because I sure get lots of questions and I'm able to answer most of them.

I do wish all my Canadian friends a very happy Canada Day 2009!

1 comment:

Grace from BC said...

We were in PEI and Cape Breton just last month! Had never seen this lovely side of Canada, and were so happy to explore it. We landed in Halifax, rented a car, and explored Nova Scotia, a small part of New Brunswick, PEI and yes, did the Cabot Trail and loved Cape Breton Island. It is so beautiful there - we also appreciate our own beauty in the Okanagan. Never been to Texas! Maybe some day! My son lives in S. Carolina now, so we do have some US connections.