Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Good Way To Be Remembered!


Posted by Picasa
When I was about three and a half, my Aunt Josie made me a smocked dress. It had smocking (a stretchy sort of embroidery) across the top front and a hem about a foot deep. So, the hem could be let down and the bodice would easily fit larger sizes. I wore that dress for special occasions until I was about eight. Aunt Josie died when I was four but I never forgot the lady who made that dress; her smile and how she was the only person to sit in a fragile antique living room chair. She took in her sister-in-law, my mother, when mother was orphaned at age 14; she golfed; she loved life and treated everyone very well. She had asthma and died so young.

We remember people like my Aunt Josie not because they are famous or rich but because they are so gentle and kind and loving. I do have photos of her and I have cropped some of them in scrapbooks of my parents. Such a kind, gentle person! She didn't live long but was remembered well.

In May, when we were in Port Hope, visiting our friends, my friend Judy took the photos above of her young granddaughter, Charlotte who is three and a half with Hubby and me. We had not seen her for almost two years and it sure was fun to see what a "girly" girl she is. (Charlotte is William's sister and you have already been introduced to Wil!)

So, when I was cropping these photos last night, I looked for some real girly paper. I found a sheet that is really cute and even had a lipstick on it.

I sat down to lay out my page and I saw these letters - "BFF". You know, I am a senior and I am Canadian, so I asked out loud to my colleagues in the crop room:

"Girls - does anyone know what this means on this paper - 'BFF'?"

The chorus was everyone's voice and it was loud resulting in smiles and giggles:

"BEST FRIENDS FOREVER!"

I loved it! Maybe Charlotte will remember me as the lady who brought her a shirt from Texas and gave her a "manicure" and "pedicure" back when she was three and a half! That would be a special way to be remembered!

No comments: