Saturday, February 28, 2009

Scrapbooking - All Day!





Here are three really nice layouts. As many times as I sit down to crop some photos, there is always a different approach to take. I like to see other people's pages also because this is a hobby that truly reflects individuality.

We all have stacks of paper that we have purchased, some for the color, some for the sparkle and some because it reminded us of days gone by.

CeCe and I have a running joke about polka dots and I sure hope you haven't heard me talking about this before . . .

One night, I was cropping a little black and white photo of my Grandmother. Grandma was a tall lady, very kind who always had some sweets to slip to me. (Uh oh, that's how we all began our battle, isn't it?) She was my cheerleader and I suspect she was older than some of my friends' grandparents. I just had one and I respected her, loved her and had lots of good times with her. So this was a good memory to crop.

In the 50s, Dad and I went out every Sunday to visit and Dad would play cribbage with Grandpa, a retired policeman. Grandma and I would sew, knit, crochet, talk and laugh.

"Martha, every one's crazy but you and me and sometimes I wonder about thee!" She smiled as she said that for fun - lots of times.

So, in this little black and white photo (very fragile and dry, ready to destruct), my friend, CeCe noticed that Grandma was wearing a polka-dotted dress.

"Oh, look, you can use polka-dotted paper - that would be perfect!"

The lovely scrapbook papers available today are like candy in a sweet shop. So, I wandered out of the crop room and into the shop to find just the right paper for Grandma's photo.

When I came back from shopping, CeCe looked at my paper and said,

"WHAT is this? This isn't polka dots!"

"No, it isn't, but I did get polka dots to back up the picture of me to put on the opposite page!"

"Well then, WHAT is this?" By now, she is smiling real wide because she feels she is being rather inquisitive, but she is very curious about the paper I have chosen to back up Grandma's polka-dotted dress!

"Well, CeCe, this is just like the wallpaper in Grandma's living room!"

The memories we have are ours to keep, to share, to crop in a scrapbook. Imagine finding paper that was just like Grandma's wallpaper, so many years ago!

Have a beautiful day. I love cropping, with it's calm, laughter, tears. It is truly the best hobby I have ever had.

And if you haven't already, please read yesterday's Blog on Newspapers.

No comments: