Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday, The 13th

I was born on May 13th and since I was 13 months old on a Friday, the 13th, they put my photo in the newspaper suggesting I was not superstitious!

Things went relatively well for me as far as the number 13 went until my father died on my 22nd birthday.

My Mother was a superstitious person and after Dad's death, she worried about everything involving the number 13. We call that fear "triskaidekaphobia", which we might have difficulty pronouncing! Mother would back away from anything involving the number 13th.

Most of us cannot do that and must press on (as the British say) with the day's work.

There are many beliefs as to why 13 is a "bad number" but the one I think of is Jesus' Last Supper where thirteen were gathered and one (Judas) betrayed him. I think most people do not like to have thirteen seated for dinner. (In Paris, a quatorzieme, or professional 14th guest can be hired.)

Some numerologists feel that the number 13 simply suffers from its position after 12 which they consider to be a perfect number. There are 12 months in a year; 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 in a dozen (excluding that wonderful "baker's dozen" of 13) . You get the idea!

In large cities with tall buildings, quite often the 13th floor is skipped and hospitals often have no Room 13, hotels and apartments, no number 13.

This year, there are three Friday the Thirteenths - today, March 13 and November 13th. So we should just get used to it!

Do remember that tomorrow is Valentine's Day and today will be unlucky for you if you forget that special card and perhaps a box of candy or a bouquet of flowers! (It's not the same if you have to run out in the middle of the day to purchase these!)

Hope your day goes well!

No comments: