Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Your Vote is Too Precious to Waste!


Both Canada and the United States are countries built on immigration. People came from other countries to make one of these two countries their true home.

I am an immigrant to United States from Canada and even though many people think these two countries are very much alike, there are some differences, some of which I am reminded of daily.

For me personally, I think there two struggles I have each day, The first is with language – yes, people think I have an accent, even after twelve years – and the other is my choice of words. I know that my outlook is a little more (little “c”) conservative and old-fashioned than my American friends. Be aware that Texas is full of people who came here from other states. The common saying is, “I was not born a Texan, but I got here as fast as I could!” So I feel this is more an American thing than a Texas thing. Actually, I could not have come to a friendlier state than Texas!

My point that I want to convey is that immigrants work very hard to achieve citizenship status. I was seven years working to achieve all the rights an American citizen has. (I committed to memory a lot of information that people born in the United States forgot after completing their education.) One of those rights is the RIGHT TO VOTE!

I see that only 58% of Canadians voted in yesterday’s general election. Stephen Harper is back in with a minority government. Under the Canadian system, patterned after the British system, that means Mr. Harper will have to work very hard to get along with and secure support from the other parties. I am not sure that all reading this will know that a vote of non-confidence can turf out the Prime Minister in Canada and cause another election. There is not a standard four year term as in United States. So, sometimes, this type of result actually works for the good of the country because the elected officials have to work together, one hopes for the good of the country.

The result is not what bothers me; rather it is the 42% of Canadians who did not vote. Was there extreme weather that kept them from the polls? Not likely on October 14. Could the people not get off work? No, I think everywhere there are laws that employers must allow time off for voting.

APATHY! LAZINESS! “My vote won’t matter!”

Well, we are just under three weeks to Tuesday, November 4th, the date set for the United States General Election.

Will our turnout be better than Canada’s? Will it be worse?

The e-mails and comments indicate that everybody knows there is an election coming. More people are talking about this election than usual. Will they actually vote?

Every single vote DOES count so make sure yours is counted!

It is unforgivable that individuals cannot get out and actually vote for the candidate they think will do the best job for the country. Some people are saying that they just won’t vote because they don’t like either Presidential Candidate. That is not the answer! If you truly believe neither Candidate is better, than you best vote for the less offensive candidate. But, please vote!

(64% of eligible American voters voted in the U.S. 2004 Presidential Election, up from 60% in 2000.)

No comments: