Friday, October 17, 2008

The Bush Family - A Lot Like Yours & Mine

Today, the Oliver Stone movie, "W", starring Josh Brolin, opens in theaters. Now, Hubby and I don't go to many movies, but we probably will get to see this one.  It is another way we can divert our minds from the current economic drama. 

When I first came to Texas, I wanted to know about the Bush family and so I read books written about them and written by them. 

Former President George H. W. and Barbara Bush live in Houston during the cooler months and when we watch the Houston Astros games, they are often in Drayton McLane's box. (Mr. McLane is the owner and also the owner of a grocery business.) Barbara generally keeps an old-fashioned score card and they both chat to those around them. 

In one book I read about Laura Bush, she was quoted as saying one reason for liking baseball so much is that you can sit and talk to the person you are with. Baseball is my favorite sport not just for that reason, but also because it is easy to understand what is going on, and generally it is not a contact sport and usually no fights break out! 

The Bush family is, to me, a rather ordinary family - with a bit of money. The story of George W. is a story many people can relate to because he is a "recovering alcoholic" and a born-again Christian.  I am sure many people feel that he was less than qualified to be President of the United States but look around you and tell me exactly who is! Any president relies on those around him and some of the greatest minds we have do not desire to be President. 

The Bush family has its fair share of skeletons in the closet but their intent on reaching out to those less privileged is probably why they are so well-liked. 

George W. Bush is a very ordinary person, really. Is that why so many people say they dislike this man? Is it because he is, in fact, just like you and me? 

What could I have done differently than George W. did on 9-11? Could Hubby and I have entertained Queen Elizabeth any more grandly than George and Laura did? Not quite. Would we have thought to invite the jockey of the winning Kentucky Derby horse? Maybe. Would I have stumbled on my words when I was at the podium delivering a tribute to the Queen? Oh, yes! 

Did you know that Barbara Bush has bred Spaniels over the years – fine ones! You do know Barbara is famous for wearing pearls, right? Did you know you can purchase similar designs from the George H. W. Bush Library Store online? 

(So, now you know that I do some of my Christmas shopping at the Bush Library Store, but I also do some of it at Clinton Library Store as well!) 

You do know that former presidents George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton have teamed to help hurricane-devastated areas, right? And you know that Laura Bush has for many years been a supporter of libraries and writers? 

So, this is one of Texas’ best known families and like me, they were originally from up north – New England – and still go to Maine for their summers. 

Do we feel so bad about ourselves that we judge those just like us so harshly? 

Enjoy the movie! It’s about ordinary folks doing extra-ordinary things and you know we love that!

Movie website:  http://www.wthefilm.com/index2.html

Clinton Museum Store:  http://www.clintonmuseumstore.com

George H.W. Bush Library Store:  http://www.museumstore.com

No comments: