Sunday, October 19, 2008

Of Course You Know This One!

Sundays are special days. On the calendar, they start the week. Some of us try to tie off a few ends of last week. Did something get forgotten? Well, yes, we did do three loads of laundry. Hmm.  Worse than that, we had a new bed delivered this afternoon! So, Sundays are not always totally a day of rest!

Of course, we were at church and it was a communion Sunday. After service, we practiced with Jeff a hymn we will sing in two weeks.  If you have a Jeff in your life, you are very blessed! Jeff can play any music - not just church music. He watches to see just how I am singing and plays at the pace I am going! Jeff makes me look pretty good! 

Now, Keith has sung all his life, but I had never sung in a real choir or in front of a congregation till I came to Texas.

The song we sang is one you may know:

I come to the Garden alone, 
While the dew is still on the roses .  
And the voice I hear falling on my ear, 
The Son of God Discloses.

The refrain repeats after each verse:

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own; 
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

Several years ago, Keith & I heard Anne Murray singing this hymn on an album of spiritual music.  That beautiful alto voice of hers made it superb!

It is not in any hymn books we have, but I think we need to acquire a Baptist book because Alan Jackson sang it on his album of hymns, so it must be there!

I think most people would come more often to church if we always sang hymns they know! Last week when sending our Pastor an e-mail on another topic, I just had to tell him that it had been a four star hymn Sunday. What that means for me is that I knew every hymn, although by now, I should know them all!

Perhaps you know this hymn because it is the punch line of a joke, 

"Andy walks with me, Andy talks with me . . . "
Yeah, yeah, I knew you knew that hymn! Have a blessed week!            


No comments: