Friday, October 3, 2008

Explaining Sarah Palin

Well, of course, they are saying that Sarah Palin is lacking in experience and saying that is because she is from an isolated and less-densely populated are. 

So, I’d like to tell you why I personally think otherwise. In Canada, there many areas falling into this category and from my travels, I know a little bit about how these people think. 

I lived most of my life in a big city (Toronto) and although I have not been up to the vast north in Canada, I can set out some reasons why actually people from places like Alaska are in fact better on top of events. 

When you live in a highly populated area, you have a long commute to and from your work. A typical Torontonian used to have about two hours total commute every day and that can only have increased now. Hubby used to carpool when he worked in Houston and also talks about the long drive. 

In big cities, there are more people in competition for jobs and elected offices. Many fine people end up “lost in the crowd”. There are more opportunities for experience in real life situations in smaller areas. 

In Canada, people in more isolated areas were more likely to have computers and got online as soon as they could. They tend to read and observe more of what is going on around them and around the world. 

In a smaller town, a person has a chance to run for office, be on various committees, serve more causes and best of all: their children get to be on sports teams! And the games are played during the day! In big cities, 4:00 a.m. hockey practices for amateurs are pretty routine! 

I am just paraphrasing, but I think Sarah Palin has had a better and more rounded life experience already than her counterpart who has been doing a long train commute to and from his job for many years. 

While watching the debate last night, I couldn’t help thinking about the Hockey Mom/Pit-bull lipstick line. Watching Mr. Biden’s body language, I was thinking he seemed he was impressed with Ms. Palin and might even vote for her! If we are going to recall our favorite dog stories, I was looking at Lady and the Tramp! 

No comments: