Thursday, October 30, 2008

Oprah Winfrey - A Lot Like You and Me!



O, The Oprah Magazine cover courtesy oprah.com

Oprah Winfrey  

For two or three years now, I have subscribed to two magazines which are generally sitting on the coffee table. They are both rather large and I like to be sitting down with my feet propped up to really enjoy them. 

One magazine reminds me there are ways and means to simplify life, get things done, and keep the house a little less cluttered. That magazine is Real Simple. The very fact that it has a little bookmark for each month to mark my place shows it is a very practical magazine. Real Simple lets me know about new products to watch for when I shop, particularly for skincare and nail polishes, two faves of mine! 

The other magazine that is on the table is O, The Oprah Magazine. (It also keeps me up on latest cosmetic products and latest ideas but goes deeper.) Oprah Winfrey is for me a role model of exactly what we can do when we think about it, put our mind to it and surround ourselves with good people. 

As I am putting my book, Bumpy Road to Texas, “to bed”, and about to realize my dream of publishing my own story, I realize that perhaps my story is a lot like yours and quite a bit like many women’s stories. 

Smart women who figure it out – and that generally comes only as we get older – are able to put into practice a lot of things that just never occurred to us when we were younger. 

It is a little scary sometimes because as we our bodies age, perhaps we do not have the energy or physical ability to keep up the pace needed to get everything done we would like. 

You will find when you read my story, that life was hard for me when I was young. I know Oprah’s life was difficult for her as well. 

I have had a weight problem; Oprah has had a weight problem. I look pictures of me from twelve years ago and without being conceited, I feel I look better today than I did then. This is true for Oprah also. 

It took me quite a few years to realize that having true women friends – surrounding myself with smart women – was a very intelligent thing to do. Women understand you, empathize with you. They have some of the same insecurities you have and generally you will find they will be your best cheerleaders when you are having success at something. 

Oprah has this all figured out! Now, I think she may just have a little more money in her pocketbook to promote the projects she’d like to do. Imagine the thrill of building a school for girls who would never had had that advantage? The excitement of being able to make something happen for someone who never would have been able to raise themselves up is magic! Being able to step back and let them continue to grow from the seed you helped plant is a special talent. 

So, I really enjoy that Oprah figured out that she can be photographed by the best available, sporting a fresh hairdo that might only last through the sitting, wearing the latest trendy necklace with her makeup absolutely perfect. Yes, every month she does that. Is there some other magazine where the owner’s photo is on the cover every issue? I think Oprah knows that she is so much better today than she was, say 15 years ago. 

But Oprah goes beyond that to seek out new ways, new books, new methods, special stories, special causes and special people. 

I feel I want to mention that Oprah has dogs because I have had dogs for a long time now. Our dogs are always in sync with us, and keep us humble. 

Now, hopefully, Oprah is attempting to formulate, bottle and market the energy she must have to review all the projects brought to her. Until she does, most of us will just have to sit back and hope to at least have the good feeling about ourselves that she has and glance at that radiant face on O, The Oprah Magazine each month.

No comments: