Saturday, September 13, 2008

What I Really Miss About Canada!

Just a quick update on Hurricane Ike. As you know, it has made landfall at the Texas Coast and for us in East Texas, this means possible tornados and major winds and rain.

On our property, some branches are already down but the wind is now picking up. The report is that there is a tree down on the loop as you exit to the highway. As my computer is right by a front window, I will be signing off. 

For those of you up north who do not experience this, we should now be in an inner room without windows. The center bathroom is the safest but a little confining. We have a fairly safe middle room where Keith put the wood up over the only window and we hope that holds up well. While we still have power right now, experience tells us that will be out eventually. We have lots of provisions - bottled water, canned goods, snacks and even a little chocolate! We have a small portable TV, radio, and batteries. The local station is continuing around the clock (with our friend minding the store). It is also accessible on radio.

Our family are all hunkered down and should be safe, especially Meghan in South Korea, David & Nadine in Los Angeles, Louise in Cleveland (Ohio), and the "Gang" in Iowa. 

Buddy, the Lhasa is sticking right with us and anytime he goes out, he will be on a lead. All fencing is wooden and I see our neighbor's wide gate is already down. Ferocious is the best word to describe it outside.

So, it is for times like this that I really miss my basement. Houses in this area are built on flat  concrete slabs - ours extends out to a patio which is covered. 

Yup: when people ask me what I miss most about Canada, I try to be light about it. Of course, I miss seeing friends and relatives. Some things have changed over the twelve years but when we visit, I always turn on CBC and CTV and Global and watch familiar faces and hear my accent. (Down here, people still think I have an accent, eh? Up there, people think I have a Texas accent.)  Make no mistake: I LOVE CANADA!

But when people ask, I try to keep it simple! I tell them what I really miss is Swiss Chalet BBQ Chicken Restaurant and MY BASEMENT!

Oh, and to my special friend,  five-year-old Wil. Thank you so much for your note which is printed out for us to read today.  Keep praying for us. Lots of love from Martha in Texas!



No comments: