Sunday, September 7, 2008

What Does a Vehicle Say About the Driver?

When I was a young girl in Toronto, families drove sedans or station wagons. Some young people drove sporty cars and only trade’s people like our Eddy’s Gardening Service drove trucks. 

When I got to Texas, I found that a lot of Texans drove trucks, even those who didn’t need them for their work. Some people referred to trucks as “Texas Cadillacs”. People here simply like to drive a truck! Of course, there are lovely, large trucks with four doors and full seating for a family. Of course, to be funny, Hubby says he is waiting for the six-door model . . . 

After I was here for a while, I realized that I too might like something a little more “competitive” for the loops and highways of East Texas

We had a station wagon and a four door sedan and we decided it was time for something newer. So, about three years ago, we took the two Ford products and went to the local dealer to trade them. 

I had been bugging Hubby for something a little taller to compete with the other vehicles, so we looked at SUVs. We decided we really only needed one vehicle since we do a lot of stuff together. 

Ford had a nice sale going and we had two models we looked at. It was July and very hot, so the salesman already had the air-conditioning revved up and bottled water ready. So, we took off to our own subdivision for the test drive in the first one. When we got to our area, Hubby turned it over to me and I liked it right away. I took it right into our garage, which is a sharp right turn. It parked on a dime and I had no trouble backing it out again and driving straight out the lane. I was in a great mood, totally giddy about being so nice and high up, off the road, I teased: 

“I am king of the world!” The line from Titanic seemed to fit.  

When we went back to the dealer, they were waiting for us with delicious Drum Sticks – I know you know what that nut covered ice cream treat is. Pretty easy way to sell a car! 

There was another model Hubby wanted to try and we did. Now, that one was a little less money and Hubby made a good case for it. I liked it as well, but perhaps I did not feel quite as “tall in the saddle”. However, once we were back at the drawing board, the paper work resulted in prices almost identical. 

So, the salesman asked which one and Hubby said, 

“Oh, the one my wife likes, of course!” (Is he good, or what?) 

Now, if we lived in Toronto, we would pretty much have to have a smaller car, if only to be able to find a parking place. But, that is part of what Texas is about – lots of space! 

We do have friends who have the trendy cars that do very well gas-wise and I admire them for their giant leap to save the planet. I excuse myself from a “GoreMobile” because I am nervous in small cars. 

I should give a plug for motorcycles also as a few friends have at least one in the family. Those people are more fearless than I. 

These days, I think I know exactly what a vehicle says about the driver. It says that was how much money he or she was willing to spend on transportation. 

As a post script, I have to tell you that one of my favorite college freshmen has a brand new Mustang. I had a Mustang once and I loved it, so I can relate. I also was young once. He is a real Texas-born gentleman and I have known him since I got here. He listened politely when I asked him to, “drive it as though it were a sedan.” His answer? 

“Yes’m.” 

 

 

No comments: