Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Galveston, oh Galveston: More than a Glen Campbell Song

We have visited Galveston twice.  A newly built area called Kemah was interesting in that there were lots of galleries, restaurants, antique and craft shops and a boardwalk. 

This happened to this area before.  For the Galveston Hurricane of September 8, 1900 the official record shows 8,000 people were killed.  So, that was 108 years and 5 days before Ike. That made it the deadliest natural disaster ever to hit the United States.  A major seawall was built and it has been a wealthy resort area and tourist Mecca

The one place everyone will mention or recognize when you talk about Galveston is Guido’s. This is a family-run seafood restaurant where the family themselves apparently catches the fish they serve. Large scallops are my favorite, and Guido’s had the best ever.  From one visit, I recall our server as a decided senior, perhaps a family member or friend, who was such a gentle person. 

A Newfoundlander, eating with me in Toronto once said,  “I make it practice never to eat fish when I am inland.” I thought about that when I tasted Guido’s scallops! 

Hubby and I also rented a special foot-peddled cart which made me a bit nervous since there were plenty of automobiles there as well! Of course, I am not the maverick he is! 

We did not stay in the swankiest timeshare or resort and I do know people who love to vacation there and at Bolivar Peninsula.  The peninsula distinguished itself for me by the dwellings on stilts. I think I can post a picture of people being rescued from one and showing the value of that construction. Some of our family used to vacation in that area and the girls will have fine memories of there. 

I know of at least one family who has lost everything in Galveston and the damage and loss has not truly been counted yet. God Bless them all! 

This area, right on the Gulf is the area really hardest hit by Hurricane Ike. We are truly fortunate to be the place where people came to seek shelter as opposed to having to evacuate to somewhere else.

No comments: