Sunday, January 25, 2009

What's On Your Desk?

It's not very often that I have "writer's block" but today was hectic and I really could not focus on anything you'd like to read.

So, while thinking of what to write, I looked up at the books on the shelf of my computer desk.

When you go to a lot of homes, you don't see bookshelves with real books on them. When you do, if you look at the titles, you'll learn a little bit about the people who live there.

We have lots of shelves in our "great room" and without going out there, I can tell you there are reference books - atlas books, bibles, dog books, cookbooks, and some autobiographies on the one side of the fireplace. On the other, there are trinkets, and memories. On one and a half shelves there is a collection of Americana that people have given me since I became a citizen.

Back here, in my work area, where nobody visits, it is more definitive. I have some "Dummies" books on how to use various computer programs. Who would have ever thought that people would buy books for dummies? Catchy title for sure!

There are lots of dictionaries - big ones, little ones, a Thesaurus, and German, Spanish, French-language ones. There is one of Papiamento: that is the native language spoken in Aruba when Keith worked there many years ago. (I might need to refer to that!) There are books on writing technique and marketing alongside Bill Graham and Wayne Dyer. There is another book on Lhasa Apso, and a couple of photos of Hubby and me. There is some stationery and various size envelopes, alongside fresh printer cartridges.

To the left is where the real prizes are - my Toronto Blue Jay cap (old style), and an autographed baseball from one of the years they won the World Series. I see a small Houston Aeros hockey stick, a jar that counts the coins you put in it and . . . a small Ronald McDonald!

To the right of my computer is my Rolodex and my Sisters in Spirit Cup from my friend Bonnie, that holds my pencils, scissors, and pens. I see a Canada pen there which of course I am reluctant to toss even though it is dry.

To be fair, I must tell you there are files waiting to go in the cabinet. You have those too, right? There's a calculator and another bible.

What's on your desk?

No comments: