Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Could You Leave The Blue Bell Ice Cream, Mr. Bush?

If you watched Larry King Live (CNN) last night, you saw the same interview we saw. Did you have any sense of sadness, watching the President and First Lady answer Larry's questions? I did.

Now is a good time to remind everyone of a few things. Enemies flying (our) planes into office towers did not happen on anyone else's watch. George W. Bush did not cause this to happen but he certainly did his best to see that it didn't happen again and on his watch, it did not!

If there was any live being under George W. Bush's Oval Office Desk, it was as my late husband, John Devlin, used to call them - "Scottish Gentlemen". That would be Scottish Terriers - Barney and Mrs. Beasley. And . . . at no time time did Mr. Bush 43 point a finger at us and tell us otherwise.

Has everyone forgotten the presidencies before Mr. Bush? Apparently so, because we are seeing as much of his predecessor as we can stand.

I was reminded the other day of a quote from (Canadian Prime Minister) Pierre Elliott Trudeau about an ugly remark Richard Nixon made about him,

"I've been called worse (things) by better men."

We have been truly blessed to have such gentle and Christian people as President and First Lady, George W. and Laura Bush in the White House these past eight years.

Ah yes, I am wondering if he was so bad, how did George W. get elected for a second term?

We are awaiting Barack Obama and we pray for him and wish him well. He has a huge load of problems on the desk but is trying to pick advisors who will help him to try some new and innovative solutions. In four years, will the press speak of him like they are speaking of Bush 43 now? Maybe. Maybe not. Time will tell.

There was an interesting moment for me at scrapbooking last Friday. I had a photo inscribed to "Mr. Sutton" by George W. and Laura and I cropped it. I didn't use patriotic paper, I used a beautiful green scroll paper to back it. I know how patriotic they are but I am wishing them a fine life back here in Texas. The photo is from when they both looked younger than they do now, after the rigor of eight years. The interesting part was that my friends came over to look at that page and comment that they wished they had an autographed portrait of George W. and Laura.

Now, of course, I live in Texas and the Bushes are Texans. I wish the press would be a little gentler on them because we do not have a crystal ball to see what will happen on Mr. Obama's watch.

Oh yes, there is one thing I'd like to ask of the Bushes as they walk out the door:

Could you leave all the Blue Bell Ice Cream that's in the freezer for the Obama family? They deserve to start off tasting the sweetest, most beautiful ice cream made in America. (And I'll bet that if they like it as much as we do - especially Pralines & Cream - that Blue Bell would continue to ship it from Texas up to the White House! It's especially nice to have a dish of Blue Bell after a grueling day and I think the Obamas are in for a few of those!

No comments: