Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Special Lady Helps Us Honor a Special Father

When I married Keith and moved to East Texas twelve years ago, I didn't have too many close relatives in Ontario to leave behind. The only living family I had were cousins, and I had some good friends. (I do still have extended family in Nova Scotia and British Columbia.)

I made a new friend here in East Texas about two years ago, through her father-in-law, an Illinois snowbird who attended our church during the winter months.

As you get older you realize that there are more unusual things happen than you would ever expect. You also realize that there are plenty of coincidences. Many times when you travel you meet friends from way back or people who live just blocks from you. But over the years, I had only met a few Canadians here.

This man's daughter-in-law not only turned out to be Canadian-born, she had come from Peterborough, which is about a 30 to 40 minute drive from Port Hope where I was living before coming to Texas. (I had lived in Toronto most of my life, moving to Port Hope for a little more than two years.)

Last year, we met this friend's mother and father and visited with them over lunch here.

A few months ago, my friend's father became ill and was in Peterborough Hospital off and on for a couple of months.

Now, this was not a good time to be travelling back and forth and there were a lot of trips - both flying and driving from East Texas to Ontario.

One time, my friend and her two elder daughters drove non-stop (and had a blow out) from here to Peterborough. His grandaughters were able to see their grandfather alive one last time. They made it back home safely.

Sometimes, my friend would e-mail, sometimes we talked on cell phones. Once she was in Windsor; once in the grocery store, once at Houston Airport. I never knew where she would be!

We prayed at Angel of Joy every week for her father and mother and family and for her and her family as they travelled back and forth.

My wonderful Port Hope friend, Judy, was available if needed and she had everyone praying up there too! Thank you, Judy!

He died on December 12th. The funeral was on December 20th.

There was nothing we could do but pray that everyone would be safe and everyone would get back home well and healthy and in one piece.

When the family came back, some came on planes on various days and four in a car through BUFFALO at night during a blizzard. (Now they know they should have come through Windsor/Detroit!)

My friend stayed with her Mother. They went to the Guelph area during the holiday week. Then they travelled over to Quebec to spend New Year's with relatives there.

I got a call yesterday from my friend that she was home safely now. Could Keith & I come to her friend Cindy's home for dinner to honor the memory of her father tonight?

How special was that? There were photos - old photos and photos from the funeral. Cindy knew we felt quite helpless down here. It was a big gathering because these people have a lot of friends and family. My friend knew everyone was there for her.

Keith and I sat with a couple and their daughter who originally had come to East Texas from Niagara Falls, Ontario in the late 80s. She had brought date squares - exactly like my Grandmother used to make! And we talked about how my Grandmother and Grandfather lived on their Canadian pensions of $40 each. Then I had to mention that my Uncle Gideon and Aunt Flo lived on only one of those $40 pensions and banked the other. I told them about how they used to walk across the street to Loblaw's (Supermarket) do buy their groceries.

(My friend and relatives know I like to stop into Loblaw's and Shoppers Drug Mart, Swiss Chalet and Tim Horton's when I am up there. There's something about sharing the special places you miss with someone else who misses them too!)

Keith told them how we were married in Niagara Falls. She said, ah yes, "Honeymoon Capital of the World". Of course, that is the title of one of the chapters in my book, Bumpy Road To Texas.

It was so comfortable. So special. Cindy's home was still trimmed for Christmas. Unsure what I should do, I took pink roses and that seemed just right.

The evening was just a short get-together but it seemed so special. Thank you, Cindy, for doing that! Thank you for helping us all to express just how sorry we are. You are a very special lady!

How good it is to have caring friends!

No comments: