Friday, July 3, 2009

What I Write About and Why

Posted by Picasa
There is a blog about The Hardest Part Of Having A Dog which has been getting very kind remarks. Don't forget that you can also send a Comment that can be posted at the actual blog. (In the right sidebar are instructions for leaving a comment.)

There is also a link to my blog about dogs in the right column on this page.

If you would like to read about the Hardest Part . . . , you can also cut and paste or type in this link:

http://fido-and-fifi.blogspot.com

Thank you to those who have taken the time to comment on this article which came straight from my heart and experiences with my own dogs.

I learned a long time ago that a writer needs to be able to write what he knows. I am blessed because I am able to write different types of writing from technical to general business to public relations to news accounts and personal experiences.

I have never had a lot of success with fiction: it is not interesting to me to make up something when I find life itself so full of wonderful events and emotions of all kinds!

Comedy writing is the hardest for me to do with good results and I have never figured I could work for Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien or David Letterman.

Did you know that Conan O'Brien was a comedy writer for The Simpsons, earning something like $30,000 a year when NBC picked him to fill David Letterman's time slot following Jay Leno's Tonight Show? Now, Conan is himself doing the Tonight Show, the longest running late night talk program! This program goes back to the original Steve Allen version, followed by Jack Paar, Johnny Carson and Jay Leno. True, guests have also contributed to the longevity of The Tonight Show, but the hosts have had to do a monologue every night at the top of the program. The monologue has to be topical and current and within the confines of what the Legal Staff can defend. It is no mean feat for each of these comedic personalities to interview literally thousands of guests, some of whom came to the studio in less than best form.

No, I never felt I could write comedy and have always admired those who could. I think it is good to know what you cannot do well!

When I was a child, I used to go off to the recreation room in the basement of our family home in Toronto and write. So, you could say I have always written. I love writing!

If you read Leon Hale . . . and there is a link to Leon's blogs in the right column here . . . you will know that he just loves to write as well. Now, Leon Hale has written for The Houston Chronicle for a long, long time and another publication before that. He . . . or so he makes it seem . . . just rocks on his front porch out in the country, with his laptop, and spins his column or blog as we call it today. I really admire him and know I could never attain the readership this man has.

I hope you will forgive me for writing on such a sad topic as the short lives of our dogs, but I knew it would be something many, many people could relate to and you are commenting to that effect.

(Note: Yes, that is "Buddy" the Lhasa in the picture taken by my dear friend, Nina, when he first came home to us, a rather shy and nervous fellow at ten months. There are plenty of photos posted of him now so you know he quickly adapted to our household which he now runs and I guess it would be fair to say some of his photos present him as a bit cocky, shall we say?)

No comments: