Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Just Can't Fix Stupid!


This is a follow up to a blog I did about a month and a half ago about a major (as they say) Department Store processing and mailing me a check (or up on Yonge Street that would be cheque) for one penny.

At the time it did remind me of the old joke where the person takes a check for one penny into the bank to cash and the teller asks him if he wants it "heads or tails".

Now, the one cent represented an overpayment from Hubby guessing the upcoming bill when paying online. A credit of one penny would have been just fine.

Hubby suggested ripping it up, but well, I don't do anything that simply . . . you know that.

Seems like I took it to the credit union and they said they could not process it. So, today, Hubby was going to the ATM with a government check for me and I suggested he add the penny check with it. He was going to a fancy new-style ATM where you insert the check into the machine. (Over my dead body, isn't that what Charlton Heston said?) I have a policy with bank machines and it is simply, that if the machine is giving me money - okay. But me give the machine money . . . oh, no . . .

So, the machine took the government cheque (ah yes, check) and that went well. Then Hubby deposted the one penny check and the machine didn't not want to do business with him.

So, Hubby had to go into the Lobby of the bank (yes, you folks up on Yonge, that is what they call it when you go inside the bank here) and hands the check for one penny to a live teller who hands him a penny.

"Does this happen very often?" (Hubby)

"Yes, all the time." (Teller)

Oh, man . . . and how much does it cost to mail that check? And how much does it cost to process it? Why does the store not just put the one penny toward the person's account as a credit?

Is this the mentality in the business world now?

We thought it was bad when they would centralize a company and then a few years later de-centralize it!

Well, now, since they are sending checks for one cent or de one cent - I guess they have de-sensed their company!

Sorry . . . just could not pass that one up, folks!

Oh, yes, since I am feeling a little like saying this,

If you are still wondering what company would do this . . . well, it is a large department store chain that rhymes with . . . not cent . . . but penny.

Yup, the same chain that back in 1977 in Miami, Florida, would not accept a Visa card from a Canadian couple trying to do a little Christmas shopping.

No comments: