Friday, December 10, 2010

Grandma's Shortbread . . . but that was in the 50s!


Homemade Shortbread Cookies, originally uploaded by mooshee85.

Mary Maude Bell Croome was her name and she was born in St.Mary's, Ontario, Canada in about 1872. She baked beautiful shortbread cookies. She only made them at Christmas time. I guess she thought they were a lot of work as well!

That was then and this is now.

Over the years, I have made the recipe and it never really comes out the same every time . . .

So, here I am in my lovely large and modern kitchen trying to replicate what Grandma did in a tiny kitchen in the High Park District of Toronto in the 50s.

We are having a Cookie Swap tomorrow at Scrapbooks & Memories running concurrent with our Scrapbooking Crop. The idea is that each of us bring some homemade recipes and a batch of the cookies. Now, I guess I was busy . . . or nervous about how well they would turn out, but here I am at the "midnight hour" with a kitchen in shambles and three cookie sheets of absolutely delicious homemade shortbread cookies.
Actually, they taste VERY good. Now, if I just adjust my printed recipe to reflect the oven temperature and put a few disclaimers about different ovens taking different times . . . I should be all right.

The other problem will be to clean up the kitchen which kind of looks like a tornado hit it. I used several cookie cutters, many spatulas, knives, three cookie sheets, a rolling pin, many knives, etc., etc. Yup, I used about 30 to 40 pieces of equipment for this project.

I knew there was a reason there are about three bakeries in town in addition to the supermarkets.

No comments: