Friday, December 3, 2010

Some Advice for Denise . . . And Other Parents of Teens On Being In The Know!


cookie monster texting on blackberry...?, originally uploaded by starrfall on Flickr

I know some people on Facebook might not be the same as lifelong friends, but it is nice to be connected to various people with differing views. It also lets me keep up with people very easily in these days when there is so much to do and social skills (and time) are not what we knew, say even 20 years ago.

Today, one of my friends, Denise, wrote a column in our paper about how her teens make her feel less than smart some of the time.

I like Denise although I don't know her well. I first met her when she was interviewing people coming out of the Charlie Wilson's War premier showing here. Charlie lived here and it was so fun that the theater at the mall was full of people who knew him.

Another time, Denise was at a park where we were releasing balloons for a charity.

She is a busy gal now that she does Charm Magazine, a weekly column and several articles each week, particularly for the Sunday edition.

Denise came here when her hubby was transferred by a department store chain and got on the local paper right away. It seemed a plum assignment that she got to go to Hollywood to cover the main premier of Charlie Wilson's War and meet Tom Hanks and be part of "the scene" even if only for a while. That assignment certainly bettered the ones I was given in a small Ontario town where I covered local township council every week and my stories included, "Is Your Water Safe" and another on a company who makes hood ornaments for cars. By the way, Denise, I was paid by the column inch. That's how old I am.

Ah, but I sat down to give Denise . . . and her counterparts a tip or two. These are the the mothers of those young people who seem to know so much more than we do. As I write this, it is shaping up to the format of, "Yes Virginia, There Is A Santa Claus", but here goes, regardless.

You have a source, Denise - and all of you in your forties and fifties who think you are too old to be "hip"- to converse with your kids. Sorry, perhaps they don't use the word "hip" anymore, so perhaps you could start there.

"Well, Tonya, that sure is a really hip cell phone you have there . . . "

"Hip?"

"You know, very in, very with it! You don't know that word?"

Now, this is where you have to be REALLY careful, Denise and all. Do not proceed to say,

"Well, this is what we USED to say." See, there is the mistake we make. We must convey to the young people that, in fact we created these clever expressions and sayings.

Let me tell you how this worked for me last night at Catfish King. Yes, you Canadians up on Yonge Steet . . . it is sort of the Swiss Chalet of Fish.

A young lady was working the cash register, bringing out orders, replenishing the salad bar and filling the sugar and sweetener containers. Then I noticed - just about the time that we were leaving - that she was using a push broom to sweep the floor.

So, as I got up, I just had to say to her:

"Well, you are a Jackie of all trades?"

"Huh?"

"It actually is 'Jack of all trades' but I changed it because you are a girl."

"Huh?"

Now, this is the part I always hate:

"Well, since you are a girl, I changed it. It means you are doing a lot of different jobs. 'Jack of All Trades'."

"Oh, oh, that is very good. I like that!"

Of course, the expression really is,

"Jack of all trades, master of none", but you know that would get you nowhere today in an era of multi-tasking.

My grandmother had a few quaint sayings and you will have a few stored in your head from your own parents and grandparents.

How about,

"The world is crazy except me and thee; and sometimes I wonder about thee."

So, the method I am suggesting to you is so simple. You quote some of these old expressions you have known all these years, but you . . . and this is the hard part . . . you must not give credit to someone else. Make it seems like you created it and stand back for a few days to see if they make it their own and pass it on to their friends.

Now comes the disclaimer. Results are not guaranteed and what do I know? I do not have teenagers in my household.

Happy parenting in this world that is probably no stranger than my Grandmother thought it was when I was a teen!

No comments: