Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Huge Commitment!

This has probably been one of the best, busiest and fullest weeks of my life. Some of you know that I was accepted into the Americorps Program for two terms and will be mentoring at the Pregnancy Help Center in Lufkin, Texas.

I will be working with young women ages 18 to 21 who either have a child or are pregnant, to encourage them to get their high school diploma or equivalent (GED).

Statistics show that people below the poverty line are very likely to not have stayed in school. In today's society, we must have as much education as is possible.

Americorps was signed into law by President Bill Clinton in 1993 and the first 20,000 people (like myself) started working in programs across the United States the next year.

Right now, I am in training and for a person 69 years old, this is a whole new experience!

I began on Thursday, have the weekend off and will be back at it for three more days starting Monday. My classes are at SFA (Stephen F. Austin University) in Nacogdoches, Texas, about a half hour drive up the road from home.

Hubby is very supportive, as are family and they are proud that I have accepted this challenge and opportunity. I know that their encouragement is helping me tremendously!

The building where I am based at SFA is only about two years ago and it is certainly a unique experience for someone my age. My classroom is up on the second floor with an elevator. In the building . . . and (as Dave Barry would say), I am not making this up . . . there is a huge cafeteria with every kind of food (including a full salad bar), a Chick-Fil-A, Starbucks, a Chinese Restaurant, a convenience store and a movie theater with several movies with a $1.00 admission. There is a large area with computers for the use of everyone and several areas with comfortable lounge chairs.

If every senior citizen were to tour this building, they might consider going back to school!

That brings me to the fact that I will also be able to have two scholarships, for two years of Community College (which would cover the whole cost of Angelina College or be doubled for a university like SFA.

The instructors are fabulous and the other Americorps students are a wonderful mix of age and ethnicity. (I want you to know that there are two other women also 69 years old!)

As we live longer and our economy is stretched to the max, I believe we are going to see more and more people going back into the workforce and back to school.

I find I am learning from the younger people but I guess they are learning from the older ones as well.

I told you the other day about Molly and yes, she was there my first day and of course, I gave her my blog address. There are more "Molly's" at this college, than you might think. Walking through the university, one sees lots of bright and smiling faces and sees hope, encouragement and the face of the future. It really looks pretty good!

Commit yourself to instruction; attune your ears to hear words of knowledge.
~ Proverbs 23:12


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ADMIRE YOU FOR TAKING THIS BOLD STEP. I KNOW YOU WILL DO WELL. YOU ALWAYS SEEM TO TACKLE EVERYTHING WITH SUCH JOY AND EXCITEMENT.

LIKED YOUR SCRIPTURE.

RHODEMA