Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Why Is Death So Sad?

Nativity Angel by traqair57
Nativity Angel, a photo by traqair57 on Flickr.
In the past year we have lost my stepson and my husband's dear friend.

These are fresh and we are still hurting.

Seems like I have "lived" with death ever since I was a little girl and my Aunt Josie and then Uncle Lorne died. My Mother was especially sad and children take quite a lot from the adults around them.

Death is not a happy time; that is a given. But how many times is someone so very sick that you really cannot wish them to keep on living in this state of illness.

I am pretty ordinary - I am probably a lot like you and all your friends. But you know, today I was talking to my sister-in-law - a great gal who I dearly love and she was talking about someone dying.

Out of the blue (as we humans say), I said,

"You know, if we really are Christians - like we say we are - why does death make us so sad?"

(I had two children who died - you already know this - but even though they seemed to never have even had a chance, I cannot wish them to be alive because they were both very unwell children.)

My husband's friend was sick for a month and we visited him and saw for ourselves how truly sick he was. I cannot wish that man be alive and be so sick. So we think about the good times and we try to help his family to adapt to life without him.

When someone is suffering and perhaps cannot recognize everyone; when he cannot enjoy chatting to friends; when he (or she) cannot go to church; eat dinner with friends; chat with loved ones; hold their spouse in their arms . . . should we really wish they would continue in this world?

So, perhaps if we are honest with ourselves, the real difficulty is that now we must live - go on, as it were - without that person. 

At the bottom, I have placed some verses we all have heard many times. I hope it helps us to understand what we (as Christians) have always known.

We who are left behind must adapt to different lives - lives without the loved one who has gone. But we should not be afraid - either for our loved ones or for ourselves. We have learned since we were children, that Our Heavenly Father has prepared a place for us that will be like none other.

May God bless you and may God bless all who have lost loved ones and help us to continue here on earth until our time has come. While we are here, we can help others to adapt to their loses.

But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.” - Matthew 19:14.

“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also." - John 14:1 - 3.

But now he is dead. Why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me.” 2 Samuel 12:23

So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.  2 Corinthians 5:6-8 

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

1 comment:

Rhodema A. Cargill said...

Thank you Martha. My father is the friend who was sick for a month.

It is hard - so very hard to let go but, yes, he is in the presence of God. It makes us all think about heaven and KNOW that we will be together one day forever.

Remembering scripture and clinging to the promises is the only way to make our way through this sadness.

Thank you for writing and being wonderful friends to our family.