Sunday, February 6, 2011

There is No Patriot Like An Immigrant - So, Let's Talk About How People Sing The National Anthems and Patriotic Music!

Posted by Picasa
At the beginning of 2004, I officially became an American citizen. I memorized facts, answered questions and passed all the requirements to be an American citizen. In United States, something like 130 countries' immigrants to the U.S. may have dual citizenship and that is what I have. Hence, of course, I became a Yonge Street Texan (see above for explanation).

Now, people new to anything, often know it better and have more respect for it.

The above photo is me at my Citizenship Party where 150 people came and went and we had the Lufkin Community Band in attendance. My friend, Bonnie, brought me the hat from California. It sits on a shelf of honor in our home where I have many other American symbols.

The photo just below is Buddy the Lhasa Apso in his American flag cap that my friend, Kathleen, gave him.

And of course, below that is a picture of an exact American flag, exactly as it is supposed to look.

What got me started on this particular blog today?

Well, like many hubbies across North America, mine has the Super Bowl on TV.

I am in a room about fifty feet from that TV and the misery of the National Anthem being sung still broke my heart. And the other patriotic song, America, was just as bad!

There is an old saying about if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The National Anthems of each country worldwide are sacred.

What if we were watching the Olympics and heard butchered versions of these anthems?

The glory is in doing something well. The mastery is doing something the best you can.

I am not saying I have never heard wonderful and true renditions of the American National Anthem and various patriotic songs. But today's were not that at all.

Why would anyone even attempt to improve on a patriotic songs that have been sung for all these years?

(In case you were wondering, Francis Scott Key composed it ("In Defense of Fort McHenry) in 1814 and Congress proclaimed the Star Spangled Banner the U.S. Anthem in 1931.)

No comments: