Tuesday, February 8, 2011

How I Became Published . . . About Dogs, Dog Shows and Dog Owners

This beautiful Bernese Mountain Dog has a cross of white on his chest which was mentioned in the original standard approved by the Canadian Kennel Club. What a beautiful puppy!

At a dog show one day, oh, probably 25 years ago, I wrote a piece about a St.Bernard and Bernese Mountain Dog breeder who had been killed in a car accident. His name was Ray Fernandez. He had his own Bernese loose in the back of the car and a small dog in a crate that he was going to show at the Sault St. Marie Kennel Club Show. (For your knowledge, the caged dog was shown the next day and the Bernese had a leg injury: Crates save lives!)

I showed what I had written to a Borzoi breeder who also was Canadian Kennel Club President for many years and he suggested I submit it with a photo to a man named Nigel Aubrey Jones who was publishing a magazine called Canadian Dog Fancier. Mr. Jones loved to judge, write and breed wonderful Pekingese.

That was the real beginning for me writing and being published.

That man was Richard Meen who is now a Dog Show Judge and a pretty good writer and speaker himself.

If you love dogs, it sometimes comes naturally that you will write about them and speak about them.

I also used to do promotion for shows and that was a real learning experience. Controlling three dogs in front of a TV camera is an accomplishment! (I always found it amusing that many breeders would bring their dogs but did not want to appear, leaving me the interview job.)

I did not even have a dog when I was young! (Yup - deprived childhood!) Mother had had a Collie on the farm when she was young and Dad never had a dog. You have read about my first dog, a Boxer named Red, and you also have seen lots of Buddy the Lhasa Apso who holds court at our home now.

Another thing I was able to do was have the experience of one of my dogs doing a television commerical. I maintain today that Dogs Sell Products. Dogs are naturals and almost everybody enjoys seeing dogs. If you are trying to sell yourself, your product or your service, I think your potential client relates well to you if he sees you with your dog.

If you are wanting to write and you have a dog, try writing about that dog. I believe it is important that we all write about what we know. (Also for me, the Romance genre was always out because I wanted to be proud of what I wrote and recommend it to everyone. And yes, the Romance category probably sells better than a book about a dog.)

At http://fido-and-fifi.blogspot.com I will be helping you understand a dog show a little better so you can enjoy the Westminster Kennel Club Show next week. Some of us look forward to that show every year!

Oh, yes . . . and "Hello" to that fellow sitting next to you there . . . YOU are the world to him and please don't forget that. We should all honor our relationships with our dogs!

No comments: