Monday, September 28, 2009

Molly and Me

Hubby and I are about to turn our lives around considerably!

I got a job! I will be counselling/mentoring young women ages 18 to 21 (who have a child or are pregnant) with a goal of them getting their high school diplomas (at a Pregnancy Help Center). I start my training this Thursday and today we went to get acclimatized at the University in Nacogdoches where the training is being held.

Perhaps I better get used to a college environment, because in addition to two rounds of 10 months work, I will be receiving two years' full scholarships.

Me working? Me back in school?

Times are "a changing" and there are a lot more older students in colleges and universities now.

Funny thing: I was telling Hubby that my original thought when I was about 13 was to be a Social Worker. So, here I am.

We were given the tour by a final year student, Molly, who did not seem the slightest bit fazed that a senior might be joining her ranks. When I left, I felt like I belonged there.

Sorry you didn't get to meet Molly - and my guess is that there are lots of young people just like her - because it would make you feel pretty good about where we are headed.

The program that provides this opportunity to me is Americorps, which was founded in the Clinton Administration and is very much in high gear today under Mr. Obama.

I told Molly I was a little nervous about - for instance - if a person her age would feel strange if I were to extend my hand to shake hands.

She smiled, "Oh, not at all". So, I did extend my hand so she would know how much I appreciated her giving us such a royal tour.

At SFA (Stephen F. Austin) University, in the administration building we were in, there are real restaurants like Chic Fil A and Starbucks! And Molly told us there are movies for $1.00 admission! I saw a room full of computers where you can just walk in and work on a project! There was a big container of Hershey kisses in the reception area.

Driving back home, I was thinking about a lot of things. I just found out officially that I will be doing this. Of course, I worry about being a senior in a young people's world.

I think you would be surprised at how well we were treated on campus - first at the guard house by the Campus Police and then by Molly and the crew at the information desk. Each person we passed had kind smiles for us.

I think I have a lot to learn, but I also think I have a lot of support from family.

For those of you who have read Bumpy Road To Texas, I think you will understand when I say I may have finally become a Sutton!

No comments: