Friday, August 29, 2008

Luxurious Vacation

Having been away from the Toronto area and living in East Texas for almost 12 years now, I am able to see more clearly the distinct differences.

We are expecting Hurricane Gustav in three to four days. The last two hurricanes to really impact this area were Katrina, the one that devastated New Orleans and another named Rita.

Katrina impacted our area in that many people came here and on down to Houston to get away. Some never went back; they stayed here.

We happened to be in Shreveport, Louisiana when Katrina was on her way and we left early the last morning of our stay and ambled down back roads to keep away from the heavy traffic on the major thruways.

Rita did bring damage to our area – mostly downed trees and many damaged roofs. She also took out our power, or as you in Ontario know it, “Hydro”.

(Electric power in Ontario is mostly generated from water, such as Niagara Falls and since “Hydra” is the word for water, you get the idea.)

To help you get the humor, let me digress and tell you how much people in Ontario love to leave their city homes, often near water and take a break at a cottage. The humorist Stephen Leacock wrote about how much Ontario folks like to live and vacation near the water.

Well, when I was about 20, a friend of mine invited me to her family’s cottage for a week. Their cottage was actually on an island, their island. Now, I had been to her home which was very large and suitably situated in a fine Toronto neighborhood. I had also been to her family’s hobby farm also with a spacious, comfortable house.

Well, I took a bus from Toronto up to Parry Sound on Georgian Bay (maybe 120 miles) and she came to meet me in a fancy car. We drove to the dock where she parked and we got in to a large and impressive boat.

So, I was not prepared for their island. There was no electricity and no indoor plumbing, only outhouses. (Now, I think there may have been more than one outhouse, which of course is impressive.)

I stayed on the island for a week and actually had a very nice break although at age 20, I did not truly appreciate how nice a break it actually was.

In Texas, so far, I have not heard about people taking this type of vacation.

So far, in our neighborhood, the destruction since I have been here has generally been fallen trees, downed fences (which are mostly wooden), and some roofs damaged. The temperature here gets really hot and the most oppressive thing about a hurricane is the power outage. That means no air-conditioning and when the temperature is 90 – 100 degrees that becomes a major problem. (Air conditioning is not a luxury here.)

So Hubby and I are sitting on our reclining sofa in the late evening and it is not too hot yet. We are in the dark, reclined back, holding hands and I say,

“Do you know what we call this in Ontario?”

“No, what?” (Hubby is a very good straight man and is an Illinois native.)

“A luxurious vacation!”

So, it looks like Gustav is heading our way and let’s pray that it is just a “luxurious vacation” again!

No comments: