Monday, September 6, 2010

Facebook - Could You Possibly Learn Anything From It?

There is one game on Facebook that I really enjoy playing. It is Farm Town. I have played another farm game but Farm Town is interactive. This means I can hire others to harvest and plow on my farm and actually make more "coins" and "XP" (Experience Points). Or, I can work on someone else's farm.

What do I learn from Farm Town? Well, I learned a long time ago that if I "hire" someone from the Marketplace to work for me, I should look for someone with grey hair. Well, that is, their avatar has grey hair!

Actually, I have pretty grey hair in real life, but I do not on Farm Town. And I have a different name. Sometimes I get some interesting comments, but generally I just keep on working and racking up my points. I have five farms and lots of "toys" in the way of housing, pools, lakes, cars and equipment.

I also have been playing Family Feud which may or may not be more intellectual.

I learned a long time ago that we never stop learning and that often our best lessons come from people we do not really know at all. In a way, that is what it is like while playing the games of Facebook.

I enjoy keeping pace with what others are doing and getting notices of what is coming up and going on in our community as well as across the nation. I get to keep in touch with friends and relatives across United States, Canada and anywhere in the world.

If a friend and I are online at the same time, we can type messages and conduct a conversation, as it were.

Lots of people post pictures and let you see just what they have been doing.

It is very true that some people post every little insignificant thing they are doing, like a sports play-by-play. So be it, if they either think they are that interesting or if in fact they are so bored and lacking for something to do, there is an easy way to "hide" that person's comments. Another type of person you might want to hide is one who uses bad language or discusses what you might consider inappropriate remarks.

There has been a lot of press recently about privacy concerns, and Facebook is one of the targets.

Well, it just makes sense not to be specific about when you are leaving your home unattended and exactly when you are leaving. Better to mention what you did after you have done it.

Facebook is a great way to let people know when you have a special event or fundraiser coming up or a fundraiser. It gets the word out to more people right away.

The whole thing is that Facebook is instant.

It is still a learning process for us older people to adjust to all the tools we have to keep in touch with people all over the world, more or less in a heartbeat.

No comments: