Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Very Special Person!


This picture is very precious to me. Here is Ava at three weeks, seemingly saying, "You came to see me again!" Having missed all the joys of infants over all these years, this special moment, captured by Hubby, means the world to me.Here, finally was a healthy, happy, beautiful baby related to me in my Texas extended family!This was a year and a half ago and Ava has never once disappointed me. Of course, I am always thinking of what she could recognize, what she would like to eat, what would bring that beautiful smile, etc.
Of course, I sometimes see things at the store that she might like, cute outfits, and so on. I guess this is called "spoiling" and I believe this is a right of grandmothers everywhere! I have a distinct advantage in being a great-grandmother! There are no responsibilities for me, other than to keep harmful things out of her way when she visits.
There is, of course, the large matter of "Buddy", the Lhasa Apso who had come into our household before Ava was born. That was not going to be a problem for any of us, because Buddy received a brand new stylish fiberglass crate the Christmas before Ava's birth. Thankfully, Buddy seems to understand. (I will tell you some other time about breeds of dogs I would have chosen for a child.)
One of the first things I quickly realized was that most people my age also have grandchildren and if I was going to play the game well, I had best listen to their stories, visit their offspring and always give them equal time. That has not been a problem at all because now, the hurt has diminished and I finally am learning to enjoy little ones.I love "cropping" (scrapbooking) Ava! It is super having Ava to dinner and watching her eat a plate full of ordinary veggies. (She'll be slim and trim like her Mom if she can keep that up!) It is super having Ava come to church, although - immature as I am - I do find myself distracted!
Sometimes I think I may be not sharing Ava enough with Hubby, but I think he enjoys watching me finally come out with children.Children are a special gift from God and they deserve all the grandmothers they can get!

No comments: