Monday, July 28, 2008

Look at me now!

I came to East Texas with a lot of baggage mostly from the deaths of my two children in infancy from microcephalism. Even though that was years ago, I had never really had any closure. I avoided children because I didn't know how to talk to them or what to say. Hubby helped me create better times and more good feelings about myself.

Well, here I am two weeks ago at our church's Vacation Bible School thanking about 60 to 70 young children for the food they had donated to our local food bank.

There are better photos of me, but none to show you how far I have come in working with children! I had about 3 - 4 minutes prepared with questions to hold their attention. I look pretty calm in this picture and that is because the children were actually paying attention to me! Wow!

I told the children that Jesus told us that as you have done to the least among you, you have done to Him. So, it was as though the children had given that food to Jesus.

I also told the children that they would remember this Vacation Bible School for all of their lives! We didn't have VBS when I was a kid, but I sure remember a Sunday School Teacher named Mrs. McPhail. She taught us how to cut the paper from the inside of a design. Yes, I bet she planted the seeds for my love of scrapbooking - or "cropping"!

My Texas life has brought me more self-assurance, more confidence. I spend more time reaching out to help others than I do worrying about myself! Life is good!

No comments: