Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11 - We Must Never Forget.

9/11 by scamp*
9/11, a photo by scamp* on Flickr.
We must never forget.


I've told you before so the message is the same. We must never forget that horrible day - September 11, 2001. If you go down my blogs, you will find our story. Every person has a story of where they were and what they were doing on that day.

Peter Jennings sat at the ABC News Desk all day and into the night. His children called him and he wept. He also began to smoke again and we presume that led to his early demise.

Hubby and I were on our way to his college reunion at Rose-Hulman in Terre Haute, Indiana.

I grew up with the mentality that if a bomb were to strike or there was any serious trouble, we would get in our car and drive north. But that was in Toronto, not East Texas. It is a very long drive from East Texas to remote Northern Ontario. That is what was in my mind as I went to get my passport. We started our drive and there would be an overnight stop.

When I talked to our neighbor, she told me that we should be very alert to everything around us. We were.

Her daughter, a broadcaster, called and asked me if we were able to get gas. The answer was "yes" - at some places and after waiting in long lines. We did not let the tank get very low.

I called to "Dear Old Rose" to ask if the reunion was still on. I was assured it was. We later found that many had to rent cars as air traffic had been stopped.

I remember hearing that President (George W.) Bush was at Barksdale Air Force Base which is not very far from where we live, over the Louisiana border.

It was all scary and we did a lot of praying. We prayed we would be safe and we prayed for people everywhere.

When we did get to our stop . . . and I cannot remember where it was although I am thinking it might have been near Nashville or Memphis . . . we turned on the TV first thing.

There was Peter Jennings, still there. It was as though he was watching over the whole country.

When we reached Terre Haute (which means High Land), after booking into the hotel, we went to the church Hubby had attended while studying Engineering. We prayed and we read a Psalm.

We went to dinner at Hubby's favorite restaurant which I think was called Louise's.

The next day, we went to the Reunion Reception and everyone was talking about what had happened in New York City. Everyone had their own story to tell. Their love for "Dear Old Rose" would not stop them from getting their to see their old classmates.

I know you remember where you were and what you were doing. And I know you remember my fellow Canadian, Peter Jennings, who sat at that desk non-stop. We are patriotic, we Canadians. We love our adopted country, United States of America and will stand up for its safety and freedom.

We have our flag flying today and I have a patriotic outfit and jewellery - in fact a special bracelet my friend Bonnie made me - that I will wear to Bible Study this afternoon.

God Bless You; God Bless United States of American and all who are dual citizens and have been given opportunity here.


No comments: