Saturday, January 2, 2010

To Resolve or Not To Resolve!

Thinking about resolutions? Well, I am not, really!

I am thinking about taking the good stuff and keeping it and making it better. Good things I did last year . . . going to try to do them more!

I don't think I really personally know too many people for whom 2009 was a good year financially. So, being more frugal has become a way of life for more of us than before.

Now, you can be frugal with money but still do good things. Smiles are still free (except for the dental part, of course!) Helping someone do something that is hard for them . . . well, that requires a little time, a little skill. Thanking someone is still free. Paying someone a compliment is still free. Praying for someone is still free. Most of the caring things are still free. You get what I mean.

One thing that keeps me a little more attentive to how much I spend is paying cash, or even writing a check. In fact, I have a petulant for paying with exact change. Because it is a hobby, I amuse my friend Sue at Scrapbooks & Memories with my exact change habits. Thank goodness I don't have a credit card bill coming in for that!

Every year since I have been an adult, losing weight has always been on my list of resolutions. I always had gained weight over the holiday celebrations. This year, I did not and I am very happy to be on track for that! So, I can just keep on doing what has become routine for me. When I exercise and eat properly, except for catching colds, I usually feel energetic and well. (I have to tell you, that every ten pounds is one size, so there is a little spending there.)

When I have clothes that are no longer suitable, I carefully fold them and take them to Goodwill so someone else can get a bargain on something new to wear.

I think routine is very good. Hubby and I are very much into routine and having to do something at a certain time of day probably helps us a lot. Staying in touch is something else we do - knowing what is happening and keeping up with friends is very good for us.

Many of you know that I eat and exercise using Richard Simmons' DVDs and food guidelines. Every Monday evening, I go to Richard's meeting. Yes - he is really there and yes, he knows most of us by name or pseudonym. He has us doing homework and that results in some really excellent meetings! For a person of his celebrity, Richard is amazingly accessible. He prays for us and he answers email - quickly, I might add.

Part of the reason I did well in 2009 was the resolutions I made at the beginning and am keeping with. The two important ones are "Stay Positive" and "Ignore Stupid Remarks by Others - not necessarily weight-related". You might want to adopt those two yourself!

Of course, the other two resolutions were to exercise and to plan meals in advance.

No matter whether you have made resolutions or not, I hope 2010 is a good one for you - prosperous and happy!


http://richardsimmons.com - Clubhouse, Meetings, Recipes, tools to help.
http://qvc.com - Richard Simmons DVDs







No comments: